Monday, April 8, 2013

Journal #4 NET-S 2,3,4,5

In the article Join the Flock by Hadley Ferguson, the author discusses the importance of creating a virtual PLN. The tool that Ferguson uses to build her PLN is Twitter. Twitter is an online environment where people can post links and photos, as well as re-tweet/re-post others links, and network with individuals that share common interests. A PLN in Ferguson's words is a "community of individuals learning together" (Join the Flock L&L). I believe that having a strong and wide-based PLN is very important for every teacher and educator. Twitter exposes their members to a wide variety of education tools and insightful individuals.  In the article Ferguson gives some helpful tools to help readers get involved and started with Twitter. The steps are: "set up your account, learn to follow, tap into great lists, watch and listen, give generously, expose yourself, and tag your tweet" (Join the Flock L&L). I believe that all of these steps are important, but learning to follow, give generously, and expose yourself are the most important steps. Learning to follow is important because as educators we must constantly be learning and strengthening our knowledge base. Giving generously is also important because in order to be respected and accepted by your PLN, one must open up and share their thoughts and insight. Lastly, exposing oneself to the Twitter world is important because one needs to allow people to understand, appreciate, and inspire not only those in the classroom.

Question: How can I be more visible on Twitter?
- In order to ensure that I am visible on Twitter, I must follow individuals, post information, and interact in Twitter chat discussions. I am now following 44 people and organizations and I have 14 people following me. I have also interacted in an online Twitter chat about Earth Day on #ntchat. Lastly, I have posted websites and links that I found interesting.


In the article Enhance Your Twitter Experience by Shannon McClintock, the author discusses the importance of organizing ones Twitter account and feed. She states that it is necessary to use an online organizer to control Tweets based on genre and information. Separate columns for every topic of interest can help organize feeds. Also she suggest that it is important to use a online book-marker.  I use Diigo, and it helps me remember and tag important and interesting articles, post, and videos.

Question: How could I use Diigo in the classroom?
 - I can incorporate Diigo into my classroom, by having posting my Diigo link on my class website or blog and have online assignments and links easily available.  Students could also send me links to sites they find relate to issues in class and I could post them on my site.

Works Cited
Ferguson, H. (n.d.). (2010). Retrieved from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20100607

 McClintock Miller , S. (n.d.). (2010). Retrieved from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/20100607

No comments:

Post a Comment